Lima is an exciting city to explore and can be the perfect place for adventure. Known for its delicious food, Pisco sour, breathtaking sunsets and urban art scene, Lima is certainly a city that will surprise you and will make you want to come back once your trip is over.
At Travel Buddies we want your stay to be as enjoyable as possible. So we have thought about some tips that will be useful to you during your adventure in Lima.
2. If you are staying for more than a week in Lima, you can buy a prepaid SIM card in any cellphone store (such as Claro, Movistar, Entel, Bitel). In this way you will have Internet to use google maps, look for nearby places to eat or book a taxi from an app.
3. If you are planning on taking a cab from the airport to your hotel, make use of official airport taxi and don’t take the ones waiting outside the airport doors. During your stay also avoid traveling in taxis from the street. It is better to ask the hotel for a recommendation or use a secure booking app like Cabify or Easy Taxi.
4. Make sure you learn a little bit of Spanish! This will help you a lot when you are in a shop or ordering something to eat. It will also allow you to exchange some word with the locals and get to know their culture, since most of them don’t speak English.
5. Don’t be afraid to haggle! In most souvenir markets it is a common practice to negotiate with the shop owner so they can give you a lower price. So don’t always accept the first price given!
6. Try to not walk in the streets late at night. It is always better and safer to walk with your friends or your tour group and avoid lonely areas.
7. We know Peruvian food is delicious! So it can be easy to get carried away and want to taste every dish! But be careful to don’t over eat, especially if you are not used to eating a lot. This will help you to enjoy your trip better and avoid indigestion.
8. If you are going to use an ATM it is better to use it during the day than at night. It is also safer to use an ATM inside a bank rather than in the street.
9. Make sure you carry some pocket money with you so you can buy souvenirs or snacks. Usually markets and street vendors only accept cash!
10. Go with the flow and have fun! Lima is a city full of surprises and fun things to do so follow your instincts and this will be a trip you won’t regret. Don’t be afraid to get lost! Wandering aimlessly is sometimes is the best way to get to know a new city and find hidden spots only locals know about.
Offers, Travel Tips, news and more.